quarta-feira, 28 de outubro de 2015

IGUALDADE | A prática de Serena Williams





«Here’s one of the affirmations I gave myself when I was younger: “I will work in Africa and help kids and help people.” And I did. I opened a school in Kenya in 2008 and a second in 2010. Now, sometimes in Africa they send only the boys to school. So we had a strict rule that our schools had to be at least 40 percent girls. It was impossible to get 50-50 boys to girls, and we really had to fight for 60-40. But we got it.
Equality is important. In the NFL, they have something called the Rooney rule. It says that teams have to interview minority candidates for senior jobs. It’s a rule that companies in Silicon Valley are starting to follow too, and that’s great. But we need to see more women and people of different colors and nationalities in tech. That’s the reason I wanted to do this issue with WIRED—I’m a black woman, and I am in a sport that wasn’t really meant for black people. And while tennis isn’t really about the future, Silicon Valley sure is. I want young people to look at the trailblazers we’ve assembled below and be inspired. I hope they eventually become trailblazers themselves. Together we can change the future». Leia aqui.

Destacar ainda que a luta pela igualdade é o tema da WIRED da imagem. Veja aqui. De lá: «The Battle for Equality Is a WIRED Issue - FROM SILICON VALLEY’S stubborn diversity problem to Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg’s call to “lean in” to the digitally enabled nationwide rise of Black Lives Matter, the WIRED world is squarely at the heart of today’s conversation about race and gender.
So earlier this year, we decided to devote all of our attention to these important matters and dedicate an issue of WIRED to equality and the future—and we had the great good luck to have Serena Williams join us as guest editor. Because Williams isn’t just a tennis champion and singularly great athlete; she’s been a leader in the fight for equal representation and pay in her sport as well as being a passionate advocate for giving girls in Africa the same access to education as boys». Continue a ler.


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário